What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are volatile aromatic substances that are produced by plants for a variety of purposes.
- As a means of attracting pollinating insects
- To prevent or reduce damage from foraging animals (very few crude essential oils taste pleasant and some are highly irritating)
- As a highly effective cooling mechanism for the plant.
- As protection against fungal attacks.
- To form part of the biochemical reactions of the plant and some essential oils may simply be waste products of metabolism.
Fragrant substances can be in every different part of a plant such as flowers, fruit, stems, leaves, bark, heartwood, and roots. It is possible, but exceedingly rare to find essential oils present in all the parts of each plant. If essential oil is present in every part of the plant the chemical composition usually differs greatly from one part to the other ie: Orange tree. Sweet orange oil comes from the peel, Neroli Essential Oil comes from the orange flowers and Petitgrain Essential Oil comes from the leaves and twigs.
Jewel of the Lotus is committed to offering the highest quality of products. It is important that purity tests, documentation and certifications are available for every product in our portfolio. Each one of our essential oils is analyzed using start of the art gas chromatography to rigorously test the veracity of the purity and potency of our sourced oils.
- Our Natural Health Product Numbers (NPN) are issued by the Canadian Government for products that require licensing for sale in Canada. The number means that the product has been assessed by Health Canada and deemed to be safe, effective and of high quality.
- Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry Analysis (GCMS) testing is done on all our Jewel of the Lotus essential oils for purity and quality assurance.
- Our Organic Essential oils are Certified by The National Organic Program (NOP), they develop, implement and administers national production, handling and labeling standards for organic agricultural products.
- The QAI also accredits the certifying agents (foreign and domestic) who inspect organic production and handling operations to certify that they meet USDA standards.